Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thinking in prose is a pain in the ass

I've always been a tough person to figure out. At least to my parents. When I was a kid, I would break out into screaming tantrums...and always at the most inopportune moment. A quiet evening out to dinner with the family could quickly turn into a scene straight out of the "exorcist." Doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. My tantrums surpassed what was considered "normal" for kids. I'd be completely fine one second, and screaming bloody murder the next. My parents thought I had some sort of disability. They didn't know what the hell was wrong. Down the road, I was diagnosed as having a "wheat allergy." True story. Apparently, too much pasta makes Erika a psycho-path.

When I was in 6th grade my grandfather passed away. Shortly after, I was hit with a wave of depression. Refused to leave my bedroom and managed to cry all the time about everything. My parents figured I was going through depression due to the death of my grandfather, and sent me to a psychologist so that I would have an non-biased peer to help me through my issues. After only two sessions, my psychologist figured out that I was in fact going through depression, but that it had absolutely nothing to do with the death of gramps. It did however, have everything to do with the fact that my parents were arguing a lot. As an adult, you understand arguing in a different way. You see it as a way to sort through problems and come to a suitable solution. Try explaining that to a kid. Arguing is terrifying. I assumed they were going to divorce.

Present day, I have a new "syndrome" I am attempting to tackle. I think in prose. And sometimes wall-posts. Which is a huge pain in the ass. I wish my thought process was more consistent.

Imagine how frustrating it is...
having thoughts that go like this:

"Erika really shouldn't stay up all night watching reruns. Erika could really use a little more sleep. Erika needs to stop setting the alarm at 7:00am and start realizing that her lazy ass isn't going to roll out of bed until 10:30."

Facebook, you are absolutely destroying my thought process.
And I love you, regardless.

No comments: